Putin - US Pal?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 2 08:58:08 PDT 2001

Of all the surprising developments the world has
>witnessed since the attack on the World Trade Center,
>the sudden rapprochement between Russia and the U.S.
>is one of the most startling. Russian President
>Putin--former cold warrior, ex-KGB operative,
>self-proclaimed restorer of Russian greatness--now
>wants an alliance with the old archenemy, an America
>that has done little to help Russia economically and
>sometimes seems intent on stripping it of the little
>international leverage it has left. Putin is eager to
>deal with the same White House that has unleashed such
>attack dogs as Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld,
>who has fiercely combatted Moscow's objections to
>President George W. Bush's missile-defense plan.

It may be surprising to US punditry, that tend to see the world in terms of morality play good vs. evil, West vs East, freedom vs. communism, but it is not suprising outside that framework.

Once we reaalize that the Soviet/Russia's goal has always been accelerated economic development to "catch up with the West" - the central planning (and its ideological legitimation) will appears as essentially nothing more than a means to attain that goal: a form of economic protectionism combined with austerity measures to limit consumption and boost savings, and strict anti-inflationary measures (price control) to counter-act inflationary pressures resulted from excess demand (esp. agricultural products) triggered by development policies. Another aspect of that "catching up" process is attempts to slow down the progress of your competitors by throwing obstacles in their way - such as fomenting dissent and labor unrest, suporting anti-colonial movements, etc.

>From that perspective, Soviet central planning, collectivist ideology, and
communist interantionalism are but temporary crutches to prop their own political-economic project and throw a monkey wrench into the economic project of their Westewrn competitors. Far from being permanent fixtures aimed to destroy and replace "the American way" (as the punditry wanted us to believe) - these crutches' main goal was to emulate Western economic achievement in the East. Their usefulness expired when that goal was more-or-less accomplished, and central planning cum its ideological superstructures quickly found their way to a dumpster. (NOTE: please do not construe that statement as a critique of planned economy in general!)

What is more, Russia's economic/political interests are now much closer to those of the West than thoe of their former Third World clients. As the oil-enriched Middle East aristocrats and military regimes fund various dissenters and terrorists in the First and Second World to advance their own imperial ambitions, it makes perfect sense for Russia to join the US and other Frist world countries to keep these ambitions at bay.

If that analysis is correct, the World War II history will likely repeat itself in the 21 century as a farce: NATO with Russia onboard allied against Islamic fascism.

wojtek