Patriotism and History

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:27:03 PDT 2001

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>Max Sawicky wrote:
> >
> > Even the WRL couldn't juke the number up past $600 or so.
> > Five trillion basically says 'you may stop reading here.'
> >

>He said "national security state" didn't he? That would include all
>police agencies, prisons, courts, State Department, Justice Dept.,
>various other sectors of national, state, & local government. I don't
>know how it would add up, but it would be fairly large. Also some
>university departments (e.g., criminal justice departments).
>
>He may have included all government employees, which would be quit
>wrong.
>
>In any case, the figure by itself is pretty meaningless.
>
>Carrol

Yes, on a cost-benefit basis it would seem we have gotten absolutely zilch national security for all the billions we've spent -- whatever the exact number may be -- on glitzy weaponry. Plus, there's the principle of the damn thing -- e.g., Eisenhower's "Chance for Peace" address of 1953: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

Carl