Organizations In Defense of Freedom

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 2 18:18:27 PDT 2001

I don't read Kazin as particularly critical of the original pop's. He describes it all as a rhetorical style, which does neglect (without explicitly condemning) the internal theory, but he sees such a style as a practical political necessity. At least, that's what I thought he said to me.

mbs

Hi,

Canovan and Kazin are writing in opposition to both the apologists such as Goodwyn, and those of the classical school such as Hofstatdter. You simply have the dates of various interpretations out of order.

The most recent scholarship on populism argues that Goodwyn etc. were too soft on populism, while Hofstadter etc. were too hard on populism.

We can disagree about the more recent scholarship, but Canovan and Kazin are hardly fans of Hofstadter and the classical school. Neither Canovan nor Kazin consider the US 1890s Populists to be "provincial rubes."

Kovel argues the lack of a populist structural critique point better than I.

"Now there are plenty of good populists, as I have said. However, so long as they remain populist, they cannot rise above the implications of its basic method, which is to personalize politics. The racism and scapegoating can be restrained, but the need to focus upon some personnification of evil remains."

http://www.publiceye.org/Sucker_Punch/Kovel.htm

-Chip