S29 Anti-War Rally in D.C. (from International A.N.S.W.E.R.)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 2 20:36:37 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: <Redlabour at cs.com> To: <asdnet at igc.topica.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 8:14 PM Subject: Re: [ASDnet] Communists, Go Home -Washington Times

>...John, maybe you should specify just which parts of this you think are

untrue. I'd say the information on the Workers World Party / IAC (Becker

and Holmes) and the RCP / Refuse and Resist (Kissinger) is correct. The

slurs begin with lumping the Institute for Policy Studies and the National

Lawyers Guild in with the above Stalinists.

Did you think people wouldn't notice that the WWP (in the guise of its new

front ANSWER) was running the show? They certainly seemed to be from the

segment I watched on C-SPAN. Events over the last couple of years have been

drawing a line between the democratic left and the authoritarian left. I'm

thinking particularly of Bosnia and Kosovo (and those who would defend

Milosevic), and aspects of strategy in the anti-globalization campaigns

(whether to keep involved mainstream labor groups like the AFL-CIO and the

ICFTU (internationally).

Here's L.A. Kauffman writing in her e-newsletter Free Radical on Sept. 17:

There still will be teach-ins and at least one

large interfaith vigil in D.C. that week. Meanwhile,

the International Action Center -- front group for

the Stalinist Workers World Party, with a long

history of supporting murderous dictators like

Nicolae Ceausescu, Saddam Hussein, and

Slobodan Milosevic -- is planning to go forward

with a September 29 "March Against War and

Racism" in Washington. I suspect a lot of other

groups may sign on, because there's a widespread

desire to do something. But you won't catch me

supporting a "peace march" organized by a

bunch of authoritarian opportunists who have

no problem with slaughter, so long as it's

committed by their pet tyrants.

I'm not sure it's going to be possible to continue to straddle the line

between the democratic and authoritarian lefts.

David Walls

Sebastopol, CA