Military share of oil consumption

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Oct 3 14:22:00 PDT 2001

Doug,

I tried researching it on the web -- but, couldn't find anything. I didn't have much time to spend, as a deadline looms at work.

But, as memory serves, I'm pretty sure I read about it in LBO (of all places!) about nine years ago.

The fact that it makes up a small part of the military budget would not necessarily be an argument against the military's significant share of total oil consumption. After all, gas expenses makes up a very small part of my budget and yet civilian consumption is also about 40% of total.

The reason I remember the figure (at 37% or so) is that, at the time, I was feeling very guilty about my part in the "energy crisis," and finding out that a huge share of that was due to the military was reassuring. Here, at least, I reasoned, would be a huge expenditure that could be easily eliminated....:)

Joanna Bujes