Robert Fisk

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 3 20:36:53 PDT 2001

At 11:06 PM 10/3/01 -0600, you wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>

> > Subject: Re: Robert Fisk

> > I'm wondering if underlying Carrol's definition is the restriction
> > that only imperial powers can commit CAHs. That true Carrol?
> >
> > Doug
>
>Now I appreciate how traumatic this all must have been for the
>American/western psyche -- after all to see an American city come under
>such a devastating attack for the first time, and at the hands of the wogs
>no less, must have been traumatic enough to make even a hardened US
>leftist lose his/her sense of proportion -- But please! 9/11 was an
>atrocious barbaric massacre but that doesnt rank it in the highest
>category of all possible of crimes under international law -- regardless of
>the American identity of the slain!

I don't think he said it was a crime against humanity. He was asking Carrol a legitimate question. It's quite conceivable that one could make an argument that it's not about numbers, but about who's doing the killing and who's being killed and that may well be where Carrol is coming from. for instance, one might have a serious objection to the US criminal injustice system as the handmaiden of capitalist oppression and domination. consider the difference between vociferously and loudly protesting the criminal injustice system regardless of whether mcveigh, peltier or mumia is on death row vs. only articulating one's critique of the crim injustice system wrt peltier and mumia.

kelley