RIAA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 4 08:04:03 PDT 2001

[meanwhile, in other news... - via nettime - the music industry gets back to business]

From: Hilary Rosen <hrosen at riaa.com> Sent: 9/25/01 Subject: Peer to Peer Services

Dear all:

It is time to get coordinated and aggressive with the new round of peer to peer services. The amount of music being downloaded is, as you know, reaching unprecedented levels. Since college started last week Morpheus traffic was up to 19 million downloads per day. AND THAT'S JUST MORPHEUS. With the imminent launch of legitimate subscription services we have to get our customers back.

I know you want your new businesses to be successful. So do I. Given the overwhelming volume of these alternative services, RIAA can't handle all of the enforcement alone. If they are not controlled more effectively and consumers redirected to legitimate offerings, there won't be new businesses. That's obvious.

You are all competitors, but you have common interests in enforcement. Help me help you. I'd like to have a meeting at the RIAA in October as soon as possible. If you agree to participate, I will have my assistant try and work with schedules to get a date that works.

I want to keep the meeting small to start (we can expand participation to other companies later).

We need to discuss:

1. Spoofing and/or interdiction methods for existing peer to peers - (perhaps by adding promotional messages about the launch of various new systems)

2. A PR campaign

3. We will share the latest legal strategies and RIAA's thinking on options

Please plan on attending. I am cautious about sending alternates because we need people who have the ability to make decisions and commit to spending.

Best regards,

Hilary