Chomsky takes down Hitchens

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:10:47 PDT 2001

Luke

I'm not a consequentialist in part because I don't think c-ism can take into account the moral significance of intentions in the right way. If you think you can make it fly, that's your project. Your answer here runs together "unintended" with "unforeseeable," which is a mistake. It also ignores the moral significance of not giving a damn, recklessness in law. Never mind, I don't think that chewing over thsi analogy is worth while. The fact is that part of the reason we are in this pickle is that the US has deliberately and intentionally taken actions that have lead to millions of deaths, thus enraging lots of people and obviously driving some of them over the brink to crime and mass murder of their own. That's not a justification of 9/11, but if we think that there is nothing but irrational hatred of our freedom, etc. behind this crime, we can expect a lot more of the same. I fear that we are in for a rough ride.

jks