The anti imperialism of fools?

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Oct 6 00:42:39 PDT 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Mina Kumar wrote:

> which would not sit well with the article's argument. And anyway, does
> anyone really believe the masses didn't approve of the Gulf War or the
> Welfare Reform Act?

Those were decisions made by our Demublican one-party state, not by popular referenda. Most welfare programs have remained surprisingly popular with the public, and support for the Gulf Slaughter was very, very thin.

> literacy, the better: just compare the NYTimes and say, the Guardian or the
> Hindu.

A better metric is the Wall Street Journal, which despite the cosmic lunacy of its editorial page still produces some of the best reporting around.

It's true that the US, once the most technologically and socially advanced nation on the planet, has declined to a Second World oiligarchy. But I have tremendous sympathy for ordinary US citizens, who've been stomped by the market forces for thirty years now.

-- Dennis