Universal versus "Western" Re: Chomsky takes down Hitchens

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 6 03:28:17 PDT 2001

>But hatred of some of the most positive Western values (yes, there are some)
>is not as inconsequential as some on this list would like to believe,
>either. The left is in for a rough ride until we're all willing to
>acknowledge that.
>
>-- Luke

By "the most positive Western values" you mean the Enlightenment or rather "Freedom, Equality, Property, and Bentham"? If so, the values in question are proper to capitalism and therefore universal, rather than "Western" & of necessity parochial. By classifying such values as "Western," you end up giving aid & comfort to the most reactionary elements in both G8 & the rest.

Yoshie