Chomsky takes down Hitchens

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 6 06:11:42 PDT 2001

>>But hatred of some of the most positive Western values (yes, there are some)
>>is not as inconsequential as some on this list would like to believe,
>>either. The left is in for a rough ride until we're all willing to
>>acknowledge that.
>
>Leaving aside the question about whether it is ethnocentric to call
>Western values "Western," something I have done in print (as you
>know, Yoshie), you are in the wrong neighborhood, Luke, if youy
>think this is the hidey-hole of the relativist pomo academic left
>who is afraid to criticise female genital mutilation or whatever
>because it done by Other Cultures. Anyway, I am a certain as I could
>be that the bin Ladans of this world would regard the "Western"
>habit of electing legislatures and enforcing due process in criminal
>procedure, etc. as a harmless if decadent heresy, not worth the
>expenditure of a single car bomb or suicide hijacker, if the Western
>democracies didn't keep invading and bombing the Mideast, supporting
>Israel's occupation and military adventures, and generally acting as
>if our superior values gave us the right to ignore them whenever it
>conflicted with the naked self-interest of our rulibg classes.
>
>jks

In the main I concur with Justin, but I reiterate my point that it is inadvisable to proclaim values such as "Freedom, Equality, Property, and Bentham" & "religious toleration" are "Western." That is exactly how Osama bin Laden & Co. think & tell their followers. Why should we agree with them that such values are alien to nations outside the G8 circle?

Yoshie