"a US citizens movement" Re: WWP and working with them.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 6 06:35:33 PDT 2001

> > Dennis P. speaks of...
>>
>> >a US citizens movement
>>
>> Well, I'm not a US citizen; I carry a Japanese passport. The
>> anti-war movement organizers, as well as all other social movement
>> organizers, need to take into account the fact that organizers as
>> well as constituencies of movements on the Left in the States include
>> non-US citizens of various legal standings.
>>
>> Yoshie
>
>Jesus, Yoshie. Are you that fucking literal-minded? Has academia completely
>sucked all nuance from your brain? I'm talking about average people, working
>people, people who make up the majority of the country. And what's with the
>capitalization of "Left"? Is this now some kind of church? A secret club
>with private handshakes and decoder rings? Are you trying to be irrelevant
>on purpose?
>
>DP

If nuance is what's important to you, you might notice that in the current anti-immigrant climate, terms such as "a US citizens movement" don't sound so encouraging to some of us the majority of the country. Some of us are so easily cast out as "them," you see, on the basis of lack of citizenship.

Yoshie