citizenship

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 6 10:16:31 PDT 2001

Kelley:

>>To do so, you'd have to change laws -- for instance, by according
>>voting rights to non-citizen residents. As reported by David Bacon
>>& others, propositions like 187 and 227 motivated many immigrants
>>to acquire citizenship, precisely because non-citizens are not
>>entitled to voting rights.
>>
>>Yoshie
>
>oh please. i'm talking about taking the word back. rights are based
>on claims about their "inalienable" character etc.
>
>unproductive ridiculous conversations.

It is indeed ridiculous to pretend as if we could take the word citizen & make it mean whatever meaning we choose to assign just like that, without changing relevant laws. For instance, I may symbolically claim that "I am an American citizen" especially given that I have lived in the USA longer than some American citizens, but that won't fly, especially when it comes to dealing with the state (INS, IRS, FBI, etc.).

Yoshie