Chomsky takes down Hitchens

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 6 10:23:36 PDT 2001

>Perhaps someone else can provide the historical data in more detail than
>I can, but I have the general impression that religious toleration is
>fundamentally a _NON-western_ value, practiced first I think by Islam,
>and only adopted, and quite grudgingly, by the west after it had almost
>destroyed itself in the religous wars of the 16th and 17th centuries?

This is correct. Thus Milton and Locke's pleas for religious tolerance in the late 17th century were pleas for tolerance of difference kinds of Protestantism; Papists wereexpressly excepted. Wider religious tolerance got some acceptance in the 18th century. I don't know about France, but Jews operated under civil disabilities in Germany up through Bismark--I set asie a bad 12 years in the 20th century. Moreover, recall that it was considered a big victory for tolerance than Catholic could be elected President of the US in 1960.

Islam treated Jews and Christians as "People of the Book" from the 7th century on--they were not given equal rights to Muslims, but they were allowed to practice their religion, own property, and be involved in the professions; and they, especially Jews, enjoyed a physical security that Muslims and Jews did not in Christiandom until the late 19th century.

>When was it, by the way, that non-Anglicans were first allowed to enter
>Oxbridge?

Matriculate is one thing. Teach is another. Newton had to keep his Unitarianism a secret, and his successor in the Lucasian Professorship, also a Unitarian, lost his job over religion in the early 18th century.

>According to Christopher Hill, the last execution of a Unitarian in
>England was as late as 1699.

APropos of nothing, HLA Hart says that there was a Witchcraft Act prosecution in England (for fortune telling) in 1947. That's 54 years ago.

jks