New Zealand

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Sun Oct 7 18:59:12 PDT 2001

In answer to your questions, 1/ no 2/ Restructuring was hardly a great success with most neo-libs now say stuff like ' it might be crap but it would've been even worse without restructuring' and even treasury has to try hard to put a positive spin on things like productivity growth. This said NZ's dismal economic performance cant be laid entirely at the door of the neo-libs - we've spent a large chunk of the last hundred years trying to think of a plan that would stop us sliding off into the bottom end of the second world. If not for the odd fortuitous commodity boom, our previous close relationship with the Brits and the fact that Australia is full of Australians we'd all be in small canoes paddling like bastards for Sydney. Despite our current reasonable performance the malaise of low productivity growth, unrealistic consumption norms, poor levels of investment etc all still wait to scuttle us. 3/ If you want more recent data try statistics nz at http://www.stats.govt.nz/ . Their hot of the press series has most current data which by enlarge is the best its been for a decade or more - Unemployment 5.2% & 2.3% GDP growth & inflation of around 3.5%. Probably the best part of the current situation is that the growth that has been occurring is due to the strength of the export sector rather than consumption lead. Cullen the minister of finance gets a lot of the credit for this due to his determination to run a low NZ dollar, round the 40-43 cent US mark. All in all the Labour / Alliance government has been cruising along slightly to the left of its English counterpart (according to my compass) - particularly in social policy - so we aren't to unhappy. If you want to know anything in particular let me know cheers Bill Cochrane.