Reply to Nathan on Kosovo analogy

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 8 13:28:57 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seth Ackerman" <sackerman at FAIR.org>

Nathan Newman wrote:

> The ethnic homogenization of Kosovo is
> hardly ideal, but the Serbs have a full nation to return to, so while
> unjust
> it is hardly the worst form on the global scale of such.
. -Nathan, stop for a second and think about what you wrote here. -You're talking about mass ethnic cleansing. What would you say if Jared -Israel had written this about the expulsion of the Kosovo Albanians? -This is just shameful.

If most Kosovars had strong familial and recent historical links with Albania, and the Kosovars had initiatied a genocidal aggressive war of ethnic clensing that they then lost, I'd have no problem with anyone saying it. Launching and losing wars has consequences-- many Serbs collaborated in the Kosovar ethnic clensing. The analogy between opppressor group and oppressed is exactly the problem here.

After WWII, Germany lost large chunks of territory and many Germans moved out of the lands made newly foreign. I have little question that most Israeli settlers will be driven out of the West Bank and Gaza once they are handed over to the Palestinians. Will you call that ethnic clensing when it happens?

-- Nathan Newman