Reply to Nathan on Kosovo analogy

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 8 15:20:29 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seth Ackerman" <sackerman at FAIR.org>
> I have little question that most
> Israeli settlers will be driven out of the West Bank and Gaza once they
> are
> handed over to the Palestinians. Will you call that ethnic clensing when
> it happens?
. -Your comparison is amazing. The Jewish settlers were implanted in the -territories less than 35 years ago. The settlements they live in are -instruments of Israeli policies designed to integrate illegally occupied -territories into the country's borders. The construction of the settlements -was a war crime. -The Kosovo Serbs were not settlers. Kosovo was not occupied territory. It -was part of the internationally recognized territory of Serbia.

Actually, a large percentage of the Serbian population in Kosovo was of recent origin and some of it was part of policies to integrate Kosovo into Yugloslavia. And where a minority oppresses a majority population, that is occupation. And whatever you think of Palestinian oppression, the Israelis never committed the wholesale mass murder that the Serbs committed against the Kosovars.

And I've never quite understood this statute of limitations approach to justice -- oppression is oppression, whether its historic roots are decades or centuries.

But as I note, people continue to justify Kosovar oppression while finding similar oppression of Palestinians oh so much more unique and horrible.

When ethnic clensing was driving hundreds of thousands of Kosovars out of Kosovo before NATO intervention, people on this list said that was no cause for intervention or outside worry. But after the Serbs commit mass murder in Kosovo, the left loves to make the Serbs the victims for the fact that the families of their murdered neighbors hold a grudge.

While its unfortunate, I don't really condemn either the Kosovars or the Palestinians for having such grievances. The problem with the symmetry you make is you make no distinction between the grievances of occupying powers and those of the oppressed murdered by that occupying power.

-- Nathan Newman