Revise setting to 'uneasy', Kel.

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 9 01:17:23 PDT 2001

At 07:28 AM 10/9/01 +0000, rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au wrote:
>G'day all,
>
>I'm hearing on the Australian ABC that a second Floridian case of pulmonary
>anthrax has now been confirmed - a colleague of the first poor chap. And,
>yes, to the degree one may employ statistics on so small a sample, this is
>waaay above expectations. No evidence, if foul play it is, that any
>diffusion technique has been employed, however, and I believe a building
>has been isolated. Anyone got more?
>
>Cheers,
>Rob.

Greetings from the Limpdick State! www.interpactinc.com/limpdick.html

(sorry, it's alittle racist, but i couldn't find a white background)

Haven't been around all day. came home to find my inbox filled with articles about the latest 2nd and possibly 3rd incident from concerned friends... so, my paranoid friends have been bugging me...and i finally caved in: i went off to the store to buy some major league HEPA filters for the Shopvac (heavy duty vacuum that sucks or blows <snort>) and more duct tape than i already had. that way, according to cypherpunks sources, i can tape the hell out of my front door and windows and use the Shopvac to pull filtered air from the outside and create an overpressure boundary inside the apartment. we'll be sealed in with pressure keeping air from outside, outside! pretty nifty, huh. thank all known deities it's also hurricane season, too. i got batteries, flashlights, canned food and duct tape out the hoohah. :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28277-2001Oct8.html

<<In Virginia, officials said last night that they were monitoring a possible case of anthrax in a Northern Virginia man whose job may have brought him into contact with the company where the other two men worked.

State and local officials said the Prince William County man entered the emergency room of Prince William Hospital in Manassas yesterday complaining of flu-like symptoms. Medical personnel on the scene responded quickly by performing tests to determine whether he had anthrax, meningitis or another disease, officials said.

Officials of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were also on the scene and monitored the preliminary investigation. A germ culture from the man was transported last night by a State Police trooper from Prince William County to a state government laboratory in Richmond, officials said.

"The state government was notified and we are following our established procedures," said M. Boyd Marcus Jr., chief of staff for Virginia Gov. James S. Gilmore III (R). "We cannot confirm at this point whether he has developed anthrax or not.">>

http://www.sunsentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1008newanthrax.story?coll=sfla%2Dhome%2Dheadlines

Tests show presence of anthrax in second man and at Boca newspaper building By AMANDA RIDDLE Associated Press

October 8, 2001, 1:10 PM EDT

BOCA RATON -- The anthrax bacteria that killed a man last week has been detected in the nose of a co-worker and on a computer keyboard in the newspaper office where both men worked, health officials said Monday.

Meanwhile, Lt. Gov. Frank Brogan told reporters in Tallahassee that ``the FBI is in control of the investigation,'' which officials in Washington confirmed.

All 300 employees who work in the building were asked to come to a health clinic so they could be tested for the bacteria. Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said nasal swabs would be taken, and antibiotics provided to combat the disease.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer would not rule out terrorism as a possible explanation.

``There is no evidence to suggest anything yet and that's why the FBI is investigating,'' Fleischer said. Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson had said last Thursday that the first incident was ``an isolated case.'' The disease is not contagious.

A law enforcement official in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity, said there was no evidence late Monday morning of criminal activity.

Inhalation anthrax, which is rarely found in this country, is a potential bioterror weapon. The senior official said, ``We're working with public authorities from an evidentiary preservation standpoint.''

``If we were to find out later it was a crime, we'd be able to launch a criminal investigation and have the evidence preserved,'' said the official.

There is particular concern about the origin of the anthrax, which is not normally found in wildlife or livestock in the state.

Bob Stevens, who died from the disease Friday, lived about a mile from an air strip where suspected hijacker Mohamed Atta rented planes, said Marian Smith, owner of the flight school, said Monday.

Several of the hijackers also had visited and asked questions at a crop-dusting business about 40 miles from Stevens' home.

The man with the second case of anthrax was in stable condition Monday at an unidentified Miami-Dade County hospital, according to health officials. The man's identity was not made public, but he was a co-worker at the tabloid newspaper, the Sun, which is published with at least two other tabloid newspapers in the same building.

A nasal swab from the patient tested positive for anthrax, said Tim O'Conner, regional spokesman for Florida's health department.

''(Doctors) describe his condition as good right now. He hasn't been diagnosed with the disease, there's just a presence of (the disease) in his nostrils,'' O'Conner said.