WWP

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Oct 9 08:59:26 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

>Gave you a pause, didn't I, Nathan? Good. I am sure there are people in
the
>CCP who are very reasonable, moderate (or radical), civilized, and
>democratic--Chinese Barbara Lees. jks

No, there are not, since anyone who dissented from fundamental policy like Barbara Lee has would have been tossed out of office - as they have been systematically over the years- and often in worse times sent to jail or killed.

The reason I support lesser-evilism as a strategy in the Dems is precisely because of the freedom of progressive Dems to dissent on major areas of policy. It is the advantage of doing politics under bourgeois liberalism- you don't have to take regimes in their totality, up or down, since there are checks and balances and some alternative dissenting political structures. In non-liberal regimes, pretty much all dissent has to be done outside the formal political structure.

And unfortunately, in China, even that is largely impossible, since independent trade unions, editors or other organized groups are systematically jailed and at times killed.

While I will stack up the external murders between East and West, there is no comparison between the far worse internal repression of China versus the US.

-- Nathan Newman