Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 9 14:20:57 PDT 2001

At 05:03 PM 10/9/01 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Seth Ackerman wrote:
>
>>In the sprit of Doug's call for some practical thinking about a left
>>position on this war, I'll say some things about David McReynolds' comments.
>
>Thank you. More of this please.
>
>Doug

what i can't understand is why anyone would think that what seth just typed or even mcreynold's wrote is somehow not the view of most of us here? like nathan said, it's a no-brainer and 95% of us probably agree. Yoshie and Carrol have been just about the only one's who've rejected "justice". well, actually, Yoshie did say something about bringing the "to justice". Carrol rejected that when I said it.

Also, the problem is: no one's going to turn bin Laden over. we will have to kill him or he will kill himself or put himself in a position to get killed.

and then where are we at?

the problem is, we don't really know who did this. so, we really should try to find out. how? well, this is what i said in a more formal debate. remember, i'm saying this to a hostile audience and I know it, so my response was tailored accordingly. i see no reason to wax marxist or leftist in such a forum. so, what i said was:

Hey, we're all in this together, right? This was an attack on US by THEM, right? Why should only the men and women in our military be the ones to sacrifice? Why should we go over there and attack them on their terms. Why don't we all really put our money and our homes and our lives on the line? Why don't we tell them, "You wanna piece outta us? You want it? Come and get it. Come right back over here and get that piece. Fight us on _our_ turf, in our backyard. We like to think of ourselves as freedom fighters, right? Did we go over to England and start a war? No we started a war right here. If you think freedom is at stake and if you want me to be grateful for those who fight for my freedom---and I am--then i say to you: I will fight for freedom and so you should you, right here, right now by making those would want to attack us in this way do so again so we can defend ourselves, our freedom and "our way of life". now that, my friends, would have been a rough, tough Clint Eastwood stance to take in front of the whole world. Such a stance would certainly NOT have been turning the other cheek. We would have looked brave and responsible and better than them. That would have shown those who attacked us and everyone else that we are standing together on this one and that we really are willing to risk our lives, our fortune, our comfort to protect our freedom.

--

of course, I said all that with the safety of knowing that we were already bombing. IOW i don't think i would have advocated it before, although i almost uttered it one evening while i was listening to a bunch jingoist prattle away one day in the store

kelley