Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 9 18:27:44 PDT 2001

. . . to the region. I'd like to see Operation Blue Helmet, i.e. a massive multinational search and seizure operation to track down the perpetrators. But what I see right now is an Oil Jihad, waged by dismally identical oiligarchs. Maybe this will change; maybe Powell knows what he's doing, after all, and the UN is just taking its time to gear up.

mbs: I doubt the 'UN' has the administrative capacity and political unanimity of purpose to prosecute an effective military campaign. If it did, I'd be for it. I suspect the US Gov would be too.

> I don't think I am more paranoid than the average
> person, . . .

The cruel, grievous reality is, US policies have wrought exactly this sort of violence on other countries for decades. The Israelis would say exactly the same thing about the Palestinians, who would say exactly the same thing about the Israelis, who would... etc. etc. etc. The terminus of the total system is total destruction. Against this, we have to start thinking, strategizing, mourning and resisting on a planetary level. When hundreds of thousands of children die of poverty in some Third World country thanks to insane policies cooked up by the IMF, we ought to be as terrified and saddened as watching jets taking out skyscrapers. The real Plague/Jihad/Terror is neoliberalism itself. -- Dennis

mbs: even if this was 100% true, instead of 70% true, trying to put it across to a population that believes (with some reason) that it is under attack is an exercise in futility. Or an exercise in bearing moral witness.