Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Oct 9 19:18:31 PDT 2001

From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>

> I don't see why, if causality is
> problematic, there need be any
> confusion between begetting (cause)
> and justification.
>
> But in any case, a cause is not a
> justification.
> If I am abused as a child and this
> has something to do with my abuse of
> others, there is cause but not justification.
>
> mbs

That works ok when we're dealing with individualist approaches to ethics but when we try to carry those intuitions into the realm of institutional violence [and the slippery slope towards it] between States and other States or non-State actors the concepts start failing us in a big way, because causation becomes politicized as justification and there's no neutral party...........

Ian