Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 02:32:15 PDT 2001

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > Regardless of what most of us think, many people in the peace
> > movement are absolutely unable or unwilling to condemn the bad guys
> > and say they should be punished. That's no good.
>
>Without exception, every single proposal for punishing them is going to
>have the result, if carried into practice, of _certainly_ killing and
>disrupting the lives of 10s of thousands of people and STILL not
>necessarily catching or punishing the bad guys.
>
>That's good?

[No, and it gets worse the more you ponder the implications of our military action. This is from Jonathan Freedland's column in the Guardian:]

... this war is truly a no-war situation. To capture and put Bin Laden on trial would be to create a focus for Islamist anger, and to further inflate his legend. Killing him would create a martyr whose death would have to be gruesomely avenged. Alive he would carry on wreaking murderous havoc. Every option is a victory for him and defeat for us.

And so even I, who hold no brief for knee-jerk anti-Americanism or knee-jerk pacifism, am left feeling deeply ambivalent about this war. I wonder if it will pass the basic, Blairite test - what's best is what works - or if it is about to make a grievous problem even worse. I worry that we may have played directly into Bin Laden's hands, following a script he's been dreaming up these last five years - inadvertently proving that America and Islam are locked in an epic clash of civilisations after all. I wonder if it would have been smarter to have taken out the men of the al-Qaida network one by one, quietly and in the dead of night, rather than giving Osama bin Laden this spectacular war he craves.

I wonder if he is not celebrating in that cave of his - celebrating the war he has already won.

[See http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,566754,00.html]

Carl