Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 21:27:47 PDT 2001

Well, Kells, there was a possibility before we sent in the bombers of treating this as a criminal investigation, as it should have been. If the guy had been French, and not hiding out in the Third World, do you think they would be bombing Paris? Notta fukin chance. So don't tell me there was no other way, even to get a bad guy who won't stop. Of course, talking about how it could have been is idle in a sense. But makes an important rhetorical point about the kind of war we have and the kind of government we have.

The war complicates things immensely. It makes it harder to bring OBL to justice; it ensures the likelihood of further terrorist acts, and, as the Bushies cheerfully remind us, it opens the prospect of an open-ended natoonal security sattes taht feels free to intervene anywhere in the third world at any time foreover. This is just what they want. They want more terrorist acts, and the last thing the want is for OBL to come out of the mountains and say, so try me! That would cork their party. So we have to demand and end to the war and the resumption of legal process. LOL jks