Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Oct 9 21:30:29 PDT 2001

A peaceful solution was open to the Bush regime, but it refused to use it. One is then led to believe that the regime was less interested in criminal justice than war. Yoshie

mbs: The aforementioned legal solution is not very compelling in terms of effectiveness. It errs on the side of minimizing the loss of innocents in Afghanistan. I sympathize with the motive, but the means are deeply problematic.

Once again, the simpler explanation is more appealing: all the economic stuff aside, from the standpoint of ruthless efficiency, the best means to counter-attack is to do what the Administration is doing. The economic/hegemonic explanation is not any more well-founded because the Bush Admin eschewed legalistic, multilateral means. Some of them have indicated that they want war, though not for the reasons you mention. But I don't see how this explanation for the official policy can be supported at this point.

I do find persuasive all the worries about instability and a mass mobilization of Islamic clerical fascism, but not enough to think some more covert approach like Carrol's army of assassins is plausible. Infiltrating small groups into a Taliban-controlled nation without any air cover seems like more of a sucker's gambit than what is happening now.

mbs