Doug's non-rhetorical WITBD?, as Re: Is ...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 9 22:41:14 PDT 2001

>> >Insofar as you excoriate the prevailing regime
>> >to breathing people, rather than in front of a mirror,
>> >it's hard to avoid the question of how a regime
>> >that did not deserve excoriation would act. So
>> >I don't think you can escape that obligation ...
>>
>>Well, since you put it that way, I suppose it would start with cutting off
>>all aid to Israel, discontinuing the blockade of Iraq, and removing all
>>troops from the land of the two holy places (i.e. Arabia). . . .
>
>mbs: Surrender is not a smart campaign
>platform, not least because it begs the
>question of retribution.

A large number of Americans, who are instinctively isolationists, would likely come to approve of the proposals to cut off all aid to Israel, discontinue the blockade of Iraq, and remove all troops from the rest of the world, if leftists worked patiently & persistently. The majority of Americans tend to support dropping bombs & lobbing missiles as long as doing so entails few American casualties, but that doesn't mean that they are liberal internationalists. They are conservative in the old-fashioned sense.

Yoshie