WWP

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Oct 9 21:46:42 PDT 2001

G'day Steve,

>the intended pejorative is not toward "thinking of things" but toward
>thinking of things within the confines of U.S. history as taught in the
>contemporary academy--and the implied suggestion that academics and their
>progeny are rightful hegemons when it comes to "thinking of things."

I agree entirely on principle, but am not sure LBO is an appropriate target, mate. We have,in my jaundiced view, seen some scholarly wankfests hereabouts in our time, but we're not seeing 'em at the moment, are we?

>btw, as to my "anti-intellectualism": i've got a master's degree from one of
>the pre-eminent rhetorical studies programs of its day (u of iowa, early
>'80s--the michael mcgee era!). did very well in the program, even published
>in the second-leading journal in the field while i was still a graduate
>student. it was all continental theory bullshit that had everything to do
>with building a bunker round the academic parlor. i got out while the
>getting was good and i've never regretted it. nor have i ever read or heard
>a word about the "intellectual" contributions of my contemporaries at iowa
>or elsewhere, some of whom i knew quite well.

Again, I share your loathing for much of this intellectual poison-in-a-blancmange - and am myself as happily escaped from that wing of the institution as you - but, er, it ain't really happening here, is it?

Cheers, Rob.