lbo-talk-digest V1 #5030

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Oct 9 23:40:21 PDT 2001

Quote:

>Gave you a pause, didn't I, Nathan? Good. I am sure there are people in
the
>CCP who are very reasonable, moderate (or radical), civilized, and
>democratic--Chinese Barbara Lees. jks

No, there are not, since anyone who dissented from fundamental policy like Barbara Lee has would have been tossed out of office - as they have been systematically over the years- and often in worse times sent to jail or killed.

Hmmm. This was the case in the USSR, and they wound up with Gorbachev. I think you're caracaturing the structure of one-party states. There was a lot more latitide for freedom of discussion in the Soviet Party (post-Stalin, anyway) than is commonly believed in the West.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal