Is there a nonviolent response to September 11?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 10 12:17:07 PDT 2001

At 11:53 AM 10/10/01 -0700, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> writes:
>
> > ObL has declared war on the US publically, and
> > soldiers from his army secreted their way into enemy territory, captured
> > enemy aircraft, and used them to attack important enemy sites.
>
>If that's true, the Geneva Convention would apply to the WTC.
>
>See Part I, Article 3: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/92.htm

our own war theory and practice as taught by our own military:

http://reserveweb.fitcpac.navy.mil/isrtm/target.htm

A target is a geographic area, complex, installation, or its contents that has military action planned or directed against it.

Economic Targets Economic targets are civilian resources which contribute to the enemy's warmaking capability. Financial Centers: stock exchanges, financial clearinghouses, electronic fund transfer capabilities Production Sites: factories, electricity plants, petroleum, oil and lubricant (POL) plants Lines of Communication: raw materials movement, civilian workforce movement Trained/Skilled Workforce

so, would it have been acceptable (and not a crime) had they attacked the WTC after, say, 7 p.m.?

well, not according to our own military because:

"It is important to validate the target in terms of its accessability (i.e., is it within range of assets), the target area defenses (i.e, what are the potential threats), and its aimpoints (i.e., can the aimpoint be attacked successfully)."