Tee Vee

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Oct 10 17:31:37 PDT 2001

one of the more pertinent (and trickier) issues in medieval history, it has always seemed to me, is that of the "rise of intolerance" in twelfth-century europe. leaving aside the question of what "tolerance" means, for the moment: was there a "rise"? and what role did intellectuals play in any such rise? identifiable groups experiencing (hypothetical) increasing persecution include jews, heretics, and homosexuals. in some ways, it's sort of the counterpart to goldhagen's question in "hitler's willing executioners."

i don't have time at the moment to hold forth on it (perhaps that's for the better), but it seems to me to sit alongside the question of "demonization."