Jack Welch, visionary

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:04:55 PDT 2001

[In today's edition of The Guardian, 23 "eminent figures" were asked if it is in fact true that the world has changed forever as a result of the Sept. 11 attack. Not surprisingly, the most glorified -- and resourceful -- US CEO of the age, Jack Welch, extols an opportunity to make a buck out of this horror:]

Jack Welch former chairman and chief executive of General Electric

In times of upheaval and market changes such as now there are opportunities: acquisitions are cheaper. This is not callous, no-one cried like I did. I don't mean to be cruel or insensitive but each one of us has got to find what the opportunities and changes brought about by this transition are. This is about going forward, this is about suffering the pain, we all cried, we all felt more than ever in our lives about the poor souls who died for no reason other than they went to work. There was this story about people from executive jets handing out brochures to golfers encouraging them to switch from scheduled to executive jets, and the New York Times said how terrible that was on the back of a tragedy. But there wasn't a golfer there or executive of these companies who didn't feel those people's pain. but there's a changed environment and they have an opportunity to work on.

[See http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,567338,00.html]

Carl