economics Nobel

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:19:52 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:20:05 -0400
>
>I only interviewed him [Stiglitz] formally once, on the radio, but
>the interview was severely truncated because he'd taken a cab from
>Columbia down to Wall Street at 5 PM, and was surprised that it took
>over an hour (the subway would have taken less than half an hour).
>He's the classic absent-minded professor.
>
>Doug

Hmm, Stiglitz's actions there seem more illustrative of hoity-toityness than absent-mindedness. If he'd merely been absent-minded, he would have taken the subway and wound up at Far Rockaway or somesuch. His reflexive preference for a cab seems similar to that of many Manhattanites who would never mix it up with the mob down in that grotty subway, even if the subway gets you where you want to go a lot faster.

Carl