underestimates?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Oct 12 11:30:37 PDT 2001

let me get this straight:

1. people shouldn't engage in crystal balling (i'd submit that balling IS okay, tho!)

2. but we can engage in crystal balling if it's the right kind of balling: Carrol's tarbaby model

3. the reason why we should engage in planning for the tarbaby model is because it is the only one that works out well for a left social movement. everything else is not so great. e.g., if they were to have gone in and gotten ObL inc and brought him up for a court proceeding, or if we were to push for that end insistently and loudly and get as many as we can pushing for this goal, it is just out of the question because there wouldn't be much to organize around?

I can find no reference to "tarbaby" or "tar baby" in a search of my archives wherein Carrol has explained what he means. The only thing is a Fisk piece:

Hill: Because it's like a tar baby. I mean as soon as the United States undertakes a military solution, then a thousand more will instantly join the Jihadi or Bin Laden because, there you go, the United States has proved itself to be the great Satan once again. At 01:04 PM 10/12/01 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote: