"Clerical fascism"

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Oct 12 13:07:22 PDT 2001

Hi,

Fundamentalism is exactly NOT

"religious based resusciations of their antique socio-political orders"

All contemporary scholarship on fundamentalism describes it as a MODERN response to change that calls for a return to a mythical non-existant past.

See: Karen Armstrong, The Battle for God. Book Jacket Blurb:

"Armstrong characterizes fundamentalism as one of these new ways of being religious that have emerged in every major faith tradition. Focusing on Protestant fundamentalism in the United States, Jewish fundamentalism in Israel, and Muslim fundamentalism in Egypt and Iran, she examines the ways in which these movements, while not monolithic, have each sprung from a dread of modernity -- often in response to assault (sometimes unwitting, sometimes intentional) by the mainstream society."

"Armstrong sees fundamentalist groups as complex, innovative, and modern -- rather than as throwbacks to the past -- but contends that they have failed in religious terms. Maintaining that fundamentalism often exists in symbiotic relationship with an aggressive modernity, each impelling the other on to greater excess, she suggests compassion as a way to defuse what is now an intensifying conflict."

http://www.bookbrowse.com/index.cfm?page=title&titleID=543

and an excerpt:

http://www.bookbrowse.com/index.cfm?page=title&titleID=543&view=excerpt

-Chip "get a library card" Berlet