economics Nobel

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Fri Oct 12 13:25:23 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 8:42 PM
> He's a very decent, likeable, modest, friendly guy - not at all
> hoity-toity. We took the subway uptown together, and he didn't cringe
> at the press of humanity - though he did have a bit of a struggle
> buying a token (putting together the right number of coins seemed to
> tax his capacity for dealing with the world of things).

Hmmm. My only similar experience to gossip about was three years ago, when He sat next to me on an Air Canada economy class seat from Ottawa to DC, where I was commuting from one anti-WB protest to the next. I confirmed it was Him because about a second before the doors closed, the steward came up and dropped off his WB ID card and keys, which he'd left in the little plastic box they put through the x-ray machine.

We chatted fruitfully for a couple of hours. I record the conversation a bit in my new book, out today (ironically), called "Against Global Apartheid: South Africa meets the World Bank, IMF and International Finance" (Univ. of Cape Town Press).

Apologies for the cheap marketing opportunity...