Cockburn: Can war save the economy?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 12 22:19:58 PDT 2001

Chris Kromm wrote:

> How does the dramatic increase in consumer debt (and rise in bankruptcies)
> in 1990s fit into this picture?
>
> Carl Remick wrote:
> >Considering how quickly those jobs are being blown away, that
> >achievement seems pretty fluffy to me.
>
> Let's see - 24.4 million jobs created between 2/92 (the trough) and
> 5/01 (the recent peak); 364,000 lost since. Sounds like a wash,
> you're right.

How much did the work force expand in the first period? How much has it expanded since 5/01? I'm out of my field here, but I'm curious. Did those new jobs just more or less correspond to the influx of new workers over that period? I don't really know how to make the comparison, or what the relevant comparison is, and I suspect others on the list don't either.

Carrol