NATO

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Sat Oct 13 03:43:44 PDT 2001

Reviving the NATO AWACs loan thread a bit:

At one time I wrote:
> First, from the announcement, I can't tell who is flying them or
> whose planes they actually are.

And Jordan H. replied:

>They are owned by NATO, staffed by NATO crews. NATO is >a real organization

Yes, I understand that NATO is a real organization. A fact made all the more real when I went to Livorno, Italy on NATO orders while on active duty in 1987. Didn't even need a passport, but I had a hard time making that clear to the guy on the train checking my documents.

However, most assets--equipment, personnel--are on loan or assignment from the member states' militaries. The AWACs are a bit different. Just as I earlier stated, they were a bit too steep for most countries. But the US wanted them in Europe and wanted NATO partners coughing up some money. And they wanted to sell some planes with some expensive gear on board, so they did. They even created an integrated command structure in order for NATO to own and operate the assets in a unified way. Rather unique actually. Still, the UK and Germany have more committed to the whole effort.

I have to agree with earlier speculation. It might be a command and control issue as to why which AWACs went where. However, it might also be technological. The US might be sending newer ones to the ME and S. Asia. I speculate about this because, if they developed planes for Japan, then no doubt they got a bunch of military electronics from Japan in the process. I also reiterate that this deployment to North America somehow shows that NATO is an alliance of equals (when it clearly is not).

Charles Jannuzi