Western funding of Islamicists

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 07:14:18 PDT 2001

>From: Chris Doss <chrisd at russiajournal.com>
>Yes...The Voice of America (the propaganda station par excellence) was
>broadcasting into Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, etc., trying to foster Islamic
>extremism and ultranationalism.

Support for the mujaheddin in Afghanistan is pretty well documented. I'd appreciate a good reference for the VOA activities. In the current issue of the TLS (Malraux cover), a review of several books on Algeria makes the assertion that France supported the Chadli Benjedid gov't in funding Islamicists to delegitimize other critics of his gov't. (An Indian reader can't read this without thinking of Bhindranwale!)

Does anyone have any other references/examples?