anthrax

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Oct 13 09:52:29 PDT 2001

>>I can't see what all the paranoia is about. Why on earth would
>>terrorists contaminate a piss-pot organization like the one where they
>>found the spores? Isn't it some tabloid? Seems more likely they pissed
>>of some homegrown neanderthal who thought to have some fun with his
>>biology set.
>>
>>Todd

there was a story about how these papers targeted saddam and ObL through out the 90s. but that doesn't matter. you have to think like a terrorist todd! :) the point would be to make your next move one in which you attack piss pot organizations. you goal is to terrorize, right? we, the hegemon, terrorize with guns and bombs and policy which rewards and punishes with money. we seek to persuade populations with guns and butter.

but the terrorist has neither guns nor butter. they need to use OUR guns and butter. a difficult task. resources are limited.they must be used efficiently. the goal isn't necessarily to kill a lot of people either.

your task is to terrorize. your task is to persuade masses of people to support the policies you want them to or, at least, to encourage their government to stop pursuing policies you, the terrorist, wants to put an end to.

so, your first act is spectacular. after that you can rely on mass hysteria to do a lot of your work for you. consequently, you preserve resources. your second act, if you're smart, should be an attack precisely on the piss pot organizations. that way, not only are people who work and live in and near big shiney buildings and obvious targets worried, the people who work and live in piss pot organizations and areas are worried. it can happen to anyone.

the anthrax attacks may be unrelated and it may be nothing to get upset about if it is part of a terrorist attack. the attacks certainly haven't been carried out especially efficiently, or so it appears right now. but, then, that may not be the point.

in my business, we have to worry about cyberterrorism. it is not so much that bringing down a power grid or three will cause a lot of damage or that mucking with the NYSE stock tickers will be an act of cyberterrorism that will permanently destroy the operations of capital. what it will do is annoy and create small fires that people rush to put out. and what that will do is create a diversion while possibly more spectacular acts of terrorism occur. i would submit that this may be the case with anthrax cases. it's simply a diversion for worse to come.

or, again, it could just be the point: anyone can be the target of terrorism.

kelley