Cockburn: Can war save the economy?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 13 11:02:16 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yes, the US is
> many jobs short, and yes, the situation is getting worse, but the US
> model thrives on putting ever-more people to work, and tight labor
> markets are good for the working class.

You need to do a long article on this, perhaps spread across two or three issues of LBO. That 10% greater job market participation -- does it reflect the fact that so many households are now dependent on two incomes? That raises questions, I think, that I don't even know how to ask. In the '50s even in quite a few grad student families the spouse didn't work.

Carrol