underestimates?

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Oct 13 11:22:27 PDT 2001

> Oh come on. The American poopulation isn't anywhere near as dumb as
> the bourgeoisie thinks it is.
>
> Doug

True. In fact, on many issues, like the need for Palestinian independence, for instance, the public is far ahead of the political and media elites. And I don't think this 94 percent backing of the "war on terrorism" is that strong. The half dozen or so common folk I've talked to in the past few days are frightened that the bombing will cause more terrorism at home, and are appalled by the rising body count of Afghan civilians. These aren't "progressive" folk who chat on lists; these are people with mortgages and kids who go to Wendy's and Hollywood Video. Many of them sport flags on their cars and front porches, yet their attitude is anything but militaristic. Granted, this is highly empirical evidence, but I'm certain there are more Americans like these than the pundits are willing to concede.

DP