"Hate America" Left

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Oct 13 11:56:39 PDT 2001

> "Innocent" is becoming offensive regardless of its context; it's a mere
> piece of jargon that replaces thinking. And "'innocent'" is just as bad.
> Someone whose posts I have read recently has a signature quote by
> [memory lapse: Trotsky or Russel] distinguishing stupidity from
> ignorance. Craft fails to make that distinction, or to recognize just
> how hard it is in a bourgeois democracy for the mass of workers to know
> the truth. That is why somehow or other scattered leftists must come
> together, utilizing whatever openings the capitalists provide us, to
> form a strong and unified or coherent left, because only such a left can
> provide a means for the mass of workers knowing even part of the truth.
> Until such time, that mass is innocent (ignorant), not "innocent."
>
> Carrol

Whew, here I go agreeing with Carrol again, but I must concur: I thought that Craft's piece was garbage, filled with the misanthrophy often found on the feminist margins. Frustration with the ignorance of the mass is one thing; but flirting with the notion that they "have it coming" via hijacked airliners flown into packed buildings is obscene. That's not a hatred of America, that's hatred of people, period.

DP