"Hate America" Left

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Sat Oct 13 15:16:59 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Or, as Slavoj puts it, "Love your neighbor? No, thanks!"

I'm not sure if they're still doing their thing, but a few years ago I was getting email playlists every week from a couple of guys in Canada who had a radio show called "Misanthropy 101." Their track selections typically featured blocks of very challenging experimental work broken up by very un-challenging easy listening stuff like old Jackie Gleason records.

Of course the two "genres" have gone hand-in-hand for some time for certain types of people (and depending on your orientation and tolerance level, it's easy to switch the modifiers, i.e. very un-challenging experimental work broken up by very challenging easy listening stuff), but these guys seemed to have a knack for nice juxtapositions. And nice juxtapositions are what I live for.

They had a tag line at the end of every week's playlist that said:

These are great times to be a misanthropist!

--

/ dave /