Slavoj weighs in, third iteration

Ted Winslow egwinslow at home.com
Sun Oct 14 10:07:33 PDT 2001

Zizek wrote:

> authenticity resides in the act
> of violent transgression, from the Lacanian Real - the Thing Antigone
> confronts when he violates the order of the City - to the Bataillean
> excess.

Combining what Zizek says in this "third iteration" with what I quoted from him earlier on death and revolution, he seems to be claiming that we are "free" and "happy" when engaged in "revolution" understood as "ruthlessly brutal" "'irrational' cruelty" and that the reason for this is that "revolution" in this sense serves "as a kind of ontological proof, bearing witness to the fact that we are dealing with the Real, not just with empty plans".

Am I missing something?

Ted