Cooper: bring back the draft!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 14 19:12:26 PDT 2001

Gary Ashwill wrote:

> Yes, it's satisfying to call the chickenhawks on their bluff. But of course
> this puts all the burden on youth. Middle-aged activists and right-wing
> pundits wouldn't have to decide between prison and the front-lines. So, no,
> it wouldn't keep everyone honest. Just the ones who stood to be killed,
> persecuted, or prosecuted. Yeah, I know he doesn't "really" mean it. But
> doesn't that make this just another example of "cheap, empty theatrics"?
>
> Gary Ashwill

My experience is that almost _none_ of the war resistance of the '60s was particularly related to the draft. Certainly thd SDS and supporters here at ISU were mostly students who had no fear of the draft, including several veterans. I think it is a right-wing myth that leftists for some reason have bought into that "youth" in the '60s opposed the war because they feared the draft. Is Cooper the one who introduced that obscenity "peacenik" into this thread?

Carrol