academic chill, the draft, polls and Australia

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:03:09 PDT 2001

>Does America have a commission, or body of some sort, to protect against
>discrimination on the grounds of political opionion?

Thw First Amendment of the US Constitution prohibits discrimination on the the basis of the content of your speech, including political speech, but only applies to public institutions. Unless there is a state (as opposed to federal) law that protects free speech that also applies to a private institution, such an institution can fire or discipline an employee for any raeson or none, contractual obligations permitting. First AMendment acsesare hard to make out. I myself was fired from a public school because I was a red, but the proof was lacking, and as a lawyer (now) I wouldb't take my own case (then).

jks