Right Advice

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Oct 15 10:52:49 PDT 2001

kelley wrote:

> i'd like to reiterate this: please explain what's wrong with
> reappropriating the flag to symbolize another aspect of "american-ness"

I'm pretty mystified why any Leftists would suggest that we activists start waving the flag. You guys already know the U.S.'s history of intervention, genocide and violence around the world. The American flag stands for jingoism, we-versus-them, capitalism, and so on. It's no coincidence that the biggest venues for flag-waving and patriotism these days are sporting events. What better venue for a philosophy that promotes domination, racism, and nationalism?

Hey, if you want to start flag-waving in order to appeal to the most right-wing elements in American society, try crafting your message to the guy who sent me this email this morning:

Subject: Re: Fwd: THIS SAYS IT ALL!!!!! Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:48:50 -0400 From: semperfidave at juno.com To: chuck at tao.ca

Please define RACE and RACIST Is the NAACP a RACIST organization? Is ISRAEL a RACIST nation? Is JAPAN a RACIST nation? Is Haiti a RACIST nation? (99% black population, free and independant since 1812) If PATRIOTISM is "pretty damn stupid" why should we be upset by 6,000 people being murdered in NYC? What RELIGION is NOT fundamental? Or is it all irrelevant as humans are just an advanced form of monkey? So you would have the American population ASSIMILATE to the societies and cultures of the 3rd world nations, rather than have those who immigrate to OUR NATION ASSIMILATE to our culture and values? How many nations besides the USA have you lived in? It is apparent, you have not smelled many rotting corpses.

Semper fi; Dave