"Hate America" Left

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:18:52 PDT 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: "Hate America" Left
>Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:12:52 -0400
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>>From: "Randy Steindorf" <grsteindorf at hotmail.com>
>>>
>>>Or a Marx said about the League of the Just motto: "All men are
>>>brothers,"
>>>there are some men I don't want as brothers. Thus he replaced that motto
>>>with "workers of the world, unite."
>>
>>Actually, I think Oscar Wilde said it best: "The brotherhood of man
>>is no mere poet's dream, it is a most depressing and humiliating
>>reality."
>
>Carl, I worry about your misanthropy. Humans aren't all that awful.
>Excuse my sentimentality, but I don't see how anyone can subscribe to
>any kind of radical politics and not have some degree of optimism and
>love at the base of it.

Ooooooh, ask me, ask me! Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will, I think.

Actually, I really liked the anecdote about Marx because it seems to go from mysticism (love, brotherhood etc) to progressive politics (thinking about institutions, social arrangements, accepting how awful people will be) as the hope for the future.