Right Advice

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Mon Oct 15 11:30:21 PDT 2001

Chuck0 wrote:

> Frankly, I will not attend a rally where the American flag is flown.
> This issue is already dividing the anti-war activists here in
> Washington.

Your call, but I think this is pretty juvenile.

> I don't know where you live, Dennis, but I live in Arlington, VA. A lot
> of folks from the Middle East here are flying flags on their cars and
> displaying them on their businesses. They are doing this to protect
> themselves from red-blooded racist patriots. I find this phenomenon to
> be revolting. What kind of Orwellian fascist country am I living in
> where people from another part of the world have to display a symbol so
> they aren't killed?

I live in Ann Arbor, MI, which has one of the largest Palestinian populations in the country. Nearby Dearborn has, I believe, the largest Arab population in the country. And yes, there have been similiar forms of intimidation here, and they have been fought and there is a support network for those affected. But some of the Arabs I've talked to are displaying the flag because they want to, because they believe that it represents the type of freedom they didn't enjoy under their various (and US-backed) regimes. One guy, John, who's a Palestinian Muslim, voted for Bush because he thought Gore/Lieberman would have been worse for his people. (I agree with him on this.) Should I have yanked down his flag, shit on it then burned it while explaining how naive he was for believing in American "freedom?"

> Dennis, I really am skeptical that you are an anarchist. For an
> anarchist, this is a no brainer. Nationalism and fascism are to be
> fought at every opportunity. Patriotism is a form of mass hysteria that
> the state uses to reinforce its power.

Well, brother, that's what makes anarchism great -- it is a tendency, not a religion. Truth be told, after reading your one-dimensional screeds today, I think you are an FBI agent trying to make the domestic left look dogmatic and prone to violence. But, hey, just my view.

> Average Americans should leave their flags at home. Unless they want
> them burned.

Like I said . . .

DP