Right Advice

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Oct 15 11:34:15 PDT 2001

Dennis wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty mystified why any Leftists would suggest that we activists
> > start waving the flag. You guys already know the U.S.'s history of
> > intervention, genocide and violence around the world. The American flag
> > stands for jingoism, we-versus-them, capitalism, and so on. It's no
> > coincidence that the biggest venues for flag-waving and patriotism these
> > days are sporting events. What better venue for a philosophy that
> > promotes domination, racism, and nationalism?
>
> So those who protested Jim Crow segregation/apartheid and US violence in
> Southeast Asia were jingoist fools for displaying the flag in demos and
> marches? Does the flag only represent racist elements? Too bad you weren't
> there to advise Martin Luther King on his reactionary behavior.

Ouch, not only a cheap shot, but a logical fallacy to boot.

Leave it to the liberals to drag out MLK when they need to get back on their pedestal.

That's pretty sick to say that I'm suggesting that the civil rights marchers were jingoists.

I stand by my words about flag-waving. You bring an American flag to a demo these days, be prepared to see it burn.

Chuck0